Sunday, January 25, 2009

Random Illnesses

Well after seeing my sister in laws blog, I feel compelled to share my story with you too.

Last week, Avery was coughing but nothing else and her nose was running clear (as opposed to green which is a sign that they have an infection........scary the things you learn about when you have kids). At this point Lillie, Grafton and I were fine.

She went to school and about 10:30 I got a call on the home phone from the school nurse. Luckily I was on my cell phone with a financial advisor trying to refinance our home.....(that is a WHOLE other story for the next blog entry) so I did not really have a chance to react when she said, "this is Mrs. so and so, the nurse at Butler", but I did sit up a little straighter in my chair. She said Avery had a really raw throat and very chapped lips and a slight fever of 99.4, to which I responed, "I will come get her right now".

Well I was still on the phone and Grafton was about to nurse so I called my Dad (my savior and man about town) to go get her. He went to pick her up and she told him she felt better and wanted to go back to school so they went back in to the nurses office and he told her that Avery was feeling better and wanted to stay. They took her temperature again and it was 99.5 so the nurse would not let her stay. My Dad also mentioned that she was probably not too happy with him challenging her either!

She came home and I tried to get her lay down and rest for a while but that did not work. She and her sister just played (Lillie was THRILLED that Avery was home in the middle of the day.)

That evening, after giving Avery more Mucinex (this is a life saver for kids who are coughing, it comes in mini melts which is similar to those candy sticks we had when we were kids; much more pleasant than the liquid), I took her temperature and she had no more fever. I decided to check Lillie's to make sure and she had one.

At this point Lillie had started coughing and when she gets a cold, she wheezes so I try to catch it early so we can get ahead of it. I had also talked to the Doctor since we had been exposed to RSV (like a week earlier so it was probably nothing) but I knew talking to the Doctor would make me feel better. They gave Lillie an inhaled steriod to put with her other medicine in her nebulizer (or "fishy face mask" as I call it to make it fun and less scary). They also made an appointment for Avery when I called and said she had been sent home from school.

The next morning we woke up and Avery was fine with no fever and I asked her a hundred times if it hurt when she swallowed (what sent her to the school nurse the day before) and she assured me it did not. So off to school we went. I kept Lillie home from school and she took Avery's appointment that morning at the Doctor. He put her on some medicine and told me to keep up with the "fishy face mask" twice a day.

So just to get an overview, Avery is taking Mucinex before and after school, Lillie is doing nebs twice a day and taking her medicine in the middle of the day. On top of this, as you would have guessed, they passed it on to me. I am congested and trying to keep them out of Grafton's face as well as not get in his face myself. It is really hard to hold him and look away. I want to kiss on him but I cannot. He has started sneezing but I think he is fine.

Now, on to me. On top of the cold the girls gave me, my random eye stye is back. Really not stressed this time either! So I am doing hot compresses (putting a washcloth in the microwave and then on my eye) and taking the medicine they called in for me. As if all that was not enough, I noticed yesterday that it hurt when I was sitting down and when I tried to get up it was hard. So in the life of a woman with random illnesses, I think I have brusied my tailbone from working out and Abs I guess.

Well Grafton needs to be fed and I am tired just from typing this. Now you know the whole story as to why I have not blogged in 19 days!

No comments: